Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Black and Blue Tongue...and Toe

As I get older, I realize that one of the signs that I continue to mature is the ability to restrain my tongue. I can be quite quick with my lashes and, if I do say so myself, these lashes can sting. One of the hardest things I have learned is that sometimes keeping my mouth closed and venting only to those in my "circle" of friends is usually the best avenue. The amazing thing is that I really have not found myself regretting when I have had to bite my tongue so hard it has bled.

I have learned that there are some people with whom I could exchange barbs and that in the end, I will only be more frustrated and will have accomplished nothing. This is an interesting lesson and one that I had not anticipated learning anytime soon, maybe ever. It is refreshing though and it is something that I must practice. I must thank some good friends for the guidance and the vote of confidence that being quiet is probably my best defense and that knowing in my heart that I am in the right frame of mind is what really matters. So thank you dear friends for the words of wisdom, they have been extremely valuable.


Don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for laying it on the line and saying it like it is, I am just trying to learn the distinction for when I should give a verbal spanking and when I should prepare the bandages to stop the bleeding on my poor tongue.

Oh, the toe, yes, thank you for asking. Well, the hubster came back to rescue me from my stint as a single mom with a crazy work project and one would think that all should be rainbows and puppy dogs, right? Not exactly. The work project reared it's ugly head again and so that stress was there and then while trying to maintain a relatively clean house (note the term "relatively"), I continue housework while sleeping - word from someone who has been there done that,
DON'T!!!!!

Monday morning, D goes downstairs to get some crack in a cup (more socially accepted term is coffee) for us and comes back up pretty quickly asking when I started the last load of laundry. Odd question, yes? Well, it seems that the load of laundry I started about 10 minutes before bed the night before didn't wash as it should have. No, instead the hose that connects the water to the washer had come unhooked and so the load of laundry continued to "rinse" all night, except it did not rinse clothes, but instead rinsed the kitchen floor, family room carpet, and then for effective measure, rinsed through the floors and flooded the basement. What a mess. Awful.


Well, to make a long story short and because I know you are DYING to know about my toe, the flood involved the complete and final destruction of a cabinet set in the basement. This cabinet set was given to us, but it was a nice little place to store some of the kids toys. Well, D decided to take it out to the trash pile since the next morning was trash day. I decided that he needed some help with one of the cabinets and well, while carrying it outside, part of it fell off because it was so wet and ruined. Yes, you guessed it, it FELL ON MY BIG TOE. OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I don't think that I have ever experienced such quick and instantaneous pain, I almost threw up and then started shivering, an odd shock reaction. Needless to say, I have survived but my toe looks AWFUL and dire predictions are that it will eventually fall off since it is v. damaged at the base. What fun to look forward to, yes? NO.

So, there you go, my events in a nutshell. My big work project went off across the ocean today and so I have a small reprieve although I hate to say it very loudly, who knows the ramifications of actually admitting I might have time to go out to lunch!

Life is Still This Good...

CC

1 comment:

Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Oh man CC, you have had quite a week... and it's only Wednesday! You are very wise to learn to hold your tongue... and I also have to say you are a saint because I'm not sure I could do the same in your place.
Regarding your toe - please say you mean just the nail will fall off? Which is extremely awful in itself, but better than losing the whole TOE! Anyway, hope you heal quickly and that your house dries fast as well.