Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Tale of 2 Opposites: Mickey D's and Flouride

This story is funny now...and kind of funny when it happened, but that is because I was not THERE when it happened.

I have a hard time getting to the point of a story, but I need to give you a bit of background to get to the point. Last fall, Doodle and Meesta had a dentist appointment at the pediatric dentist they have been seeing for a few years now. I thought the appt. was at 2:30 - apparently it was at 2. My sitter, K, met me there with the kids and took off. I go in with all 3 kids, exactly at 2:30 and it was tough to get there and get that accomplished, it is not always easy for me to get out of work. Well, the receptionist folks took one look at me and said "your appointment was at 2 - we tried to call you...". This did not settle well with me and I asked where they had called me...because I had not heard from them via cell phone or work phone. They rattled off my home number. This was the end of my exhausted rope and I told them that like themselves, I worked during the day and why bother asking me for those numbers if they were not going to utilize them. They could not get us in that day. Well, that soured me off and I held a grudge...but I began to feel guilty and so hubbie scheduled an appointment at the dentist and my sitter (nanny, not sure what to call her - my angel!) informed me that I did not need to come, she had it all under control. Well, this made my working mom guilt go into overdrive, but she convinced me that it was fine. Okay.

So, the day of the dentist appointment, I tell K that I have my cell phone on me that day at all times in case they need to talk to me for some kind of release or whatever, and let's just say that turned out to be a wise decision. K picks up Meesta and Doodle from school and they along with K and Shenzy travel about 25 miles to the dentist. K calls me twice while they are there to ask me questions about X-rays and something else. Anyway, she calls me one last time to say that everything went well at the dentist, no cavities, but Doodle received a "B-" and Meesta a "C+" on brushing. [Even this rankled me, I worry so much about my drive to be very successful academically...even non-A's on teeth brushing stresses me. (All to pray for CC that she chills out when the kids start getting real grades. All have been good in Kindergarten so no need for stress yet.)] So, K tells me that she is taking the kids to lunch and meeting her hubby (my kids ADORE her husband), so I tell her thanks a million times and tell them to have a nice time.

The scene that ensued at Mickey D's could be none other than one designed for dramatic effect in a kid movie - one that encourages teenagers to either be abstinent or to use GOOD SUPER EFFECTIVE birth control. The next phone call from K outlined the following chain of events:
  • Arrive at Mickey D's, get food, sit down to eat
  • Doodle indicates that she needs to use the rest room
  • Meesta also wants to go, so K, Doodle and Meesta trek to restroom, leaving K's hubbie and Shenzy out in the eating area
  • While in the bathroom, K is getting Meesta arranged in the bathroom and Doodle is clinging to her leg...K finds this odd and is asking her what is going on and without warning, Doodle vomits profusely multiple times.
  • K, being of infinite patience, strong stomach, and immense love of my kids holds it together and gets Doodle into another stall and then TRIES TO CLEAN THINGS UP (God I love this woman)
  • Doodle seems to be okay and they are all reasonably cleaned up so they finally return to the eating area where K tells her hubbie that they need to hurry up because Doodle is not feeling well and briefly details him on the situation. Mind you - K's hubbie is not of the same strong stomach constitution.
  • Then it happens, without any warning, Meesta vomits all over the table, the food, the chair. (I swear this is a true story!!!) K's husband almost joins him. They attempt to get it cleaned up while trying to get the heck out of dodge. [Mind you, Meesta has only vomited 1 time since he has been our son and that was after surgery, so I honestly don't know if he knew what it felt like and maybe that was why the lack of warning, who knows.]
  • K calls me and relays all of these events so I head home, calling the school, the doctor's office and the dentist's office to see if there is some radical flu bug going around and what to do. It turns out that it was most likely that they had both swallowed the fluoride and that was the reason behind the profuse vomiting.

What would I do without K???? Who knows, but I am so thankful for her. I am so glad it was her and not me because I would have joined the kids and we would have had even more mess on our hands. Seriously, is that a tale of hysterical proportions. Can't you just see this in a Steve Martin movie - a Mr. Mom movie of sorts.

Word of advice to all, go HOME after dentist appointment and perhaps reconsider the need for the fluoride treatment anyway!

CC - who can laugh because I was not there and the kids were all right after their "event"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Heavens. I think your babysitter deserves a raise or perhaps a very large bonus. ;-)

Surf Selection said...

Fluoride is an extremely toxic substance that is put in normal drinking water, toothpaste and other substances consumed by humans. Fluoride is promoted as a dental helper, fighting against tooth decay. But Russell Blaylock, M.D., argues that fluoride is more dangerous than one can imagine and has been linked to brain disorders, cancers and other diseases.