Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Family are Complicated

Families are complicated. It is just as simple and as complex as that, one little sentence says so much.

My dear uncle who had a heart transplant 8 years ago has been diagnosed with post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder (PTLD). This is very sad for all of us, especially his wife (my aunt) and their 13-year-old son. We are all very close and we are all hopeful, but further lab tests are required before a specific course of action can begin. Being the scientific person that I tend to be in these situations, I am eagerly awaiting the specifics, is Epstein-Barr involved, are there B cells or T cells implicated - these things all matter. The problem lies in that to make the cancer more receptive to treatment, his anti-rejection meds which automatically reduce his white blood cells must be reduced - so treatment for his cancer can lead to his body rejecting the heart that was so lovingly donated to him 8 years ago. Prayers are requested as we navigate how to respond to this and how to be there for them all. We pray for healing, he is such a fun and generous man with way too much life left to lead.

Now the touchy thing. When things are not going well in your relationship with a family member, what do you do? Especially when whatever it is is so stupid in your mind, actually you don't even know why things are going well??? Shouldn't a life-threatening illness of a close family member make all the silliness go away? Isn't that a wake up call? I am frustrated and don't know what to do.

It is all so complicated and frustrating and I am wayyy simplifying it here. Oh well, lots of things to ponder.

Today is my birthday and my good friend CW made it a great day at work, baked me a cake and she and my other good friend at work, Nik, took me for lunch at my favorite Indian buffet - yum! D and the kids made it a nice evening as well. They got me a private little obsession, something I saw in the store a few months ago and really wanted but had honestly forgotten about - a little 5-game (old school stuff) video thing that plugs directly into your t.v. with a little joy stick, that is it, no big game system. Guess what it has...ok, I will not hold you in suspense - Ms. Pacman! I have a mild obsession with that when I get around one. We had neighbors in our old house that had a full-size arcade game of Ms. Pacman in their basement and they kept it in their basement and we had free reign to come and play anytime as it was accessible from their garage...but now, I have my own. I am in trouble!!!!

It was a decent day, birthdays indeed get less dramatic with age, and that is just fine.

All for now...

CC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle - I'll be praying for healing and for whatever the complications with family are to be cleared away.
Happy Happy Birthday!! (belatedly)
We have one of those joystick things too - the kids love it - who needs xbox? LOL.